Pages (Click Here to Visit)

Monday, February 11, 2013

A New School Year

Hello Everyone,

Well, here we are at the start of another school and working week for a lot of us. In Victoria, it will be the start of our second full week of school.
Accordingly the title of my post and layout today....A New School Year!

Over the holidays (which seem a distant memory now) I was reading Creating Keepsakes Jan/Feb 13 - one layout stood out by Piradee Talvanna......it was a layout with many 'Lift Up Flaps' and layers. I decided to give it a go this month for my second post and share it with you all.

I have decided to do this as a bit of a step by step post so that you can see the layout come together. So here goes...

This layout is perfect when you have several photos but also if you would like to hide some journalling and present what appears to be a basic single page layout. It is really important if you are using double sided papers (highly recommended) to really think about what each layer will look like. You will understand what I mean soon.

This layout is of Brayden's first day in Grade One....I had 3 photos that I wanted to use and limited space on a single page layout. I loved how with this layout I could highlight that gorgeous photo of him on the top of the layout.

Here is the layout...

You will need: 1 x cardstock for backing; Several coordinating patterned papers; cardstock for mounting and other embellies; Lettering; punch (I used a binding edge punch); embellishments. I have used the Creative Imaginations - Debbie Mumm papers - School Borders; Art Class; School Phrase and Smart Owlic.

Step #1: Cut a frame from your cardstock. Why? So that you are not wasting the centre of your cardstock when you put patterned paper over it. It also reduces the thickness of your layout and that is something to be particularly conscious of with this layout. My frame was a 2cm frame.


Step #2: Backing patterned paper - select and trim.  I cut 6mm off 2 edges only. Hence not a large cardstock border.

Step #3: Select and cut your patterned paper pieces for each of the larger layers.
You will need:
1 x 18cm x 24cm; 1 x 15cm x 24cm; 1 x 12cm x 24cm - these will be the three larger layers on the layout.
I have used the EK Success Binding Edge Punch on the bottom edge of these 3 papers.


Step #4: Select and cut your patterned paper for each of the smaller layers.
You will need:
2 x 11cm x 9cm and 1 x 8 cm x 9.8cm - these are the smaller layers on the left hand of the photo. I have added some page tabs to these layers using a staple.

Step #5: Feature Photo
Decide what photo you would like to use in the feature place. Cut to size and matt with cardstock or paper of your choice. My photo is 11.8 x 10.2cm

Step #6: Border
Find some paper that could be used for the border. I have used ruler borders from the paper. The other paper I have cut strips and then drew a zig zag free hand.

Step #7: Build Flap Feature
It would be wise to create each layer prior to it all being attached to the larger layout and prior to the layers being put together. It would be wise to mark where the layers stop so that you don't have photos and details hanging over. Avoid using 3D embellishments in each layer.


Step #8: Putting the layers together
When putting the layers together I made sure that I scored a half a cm line at the top of the patterned piece to aid with the folding and lifting of each layer.
Put the 3 papers for the larger 'lift the flap' layout together and then add the smaller 3 layers and the photo on the top. This could be a mini layout in itself.





Step #9: Attach the mini layout to the larger layout.


Step #10: Embellish the whole layout as you wish.




Materials I have used:
Patterned Paper: Creative Imaginations - Debbie Mumm - School Borders; Art Class; School Phrase; Smart Owlic. Cardstock - Bazzil; Coredinations - February Gold
EK Success Punch - Binding Edge; Kaisercraft - Tiny Alpha Stickers - Latte; Beary Patch - Sticker Letters - Funky Curl - Sun Beary; Cosmo Cricket - Tiny Type; Simple Stories - Year.o.graphy Cardstock Stickers; Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Walnut Stain; Black Cotton; Kaisercraft - Wooden Letters - Alphabet; Silhouette Cameo and downloadable images; buttons; black pen.

So what do you think? 
Great idea for including several photos and journalling sections in one layout I think. Make sure you let me know your thoughts...I love to hear them.

Have you entered your layout and card for this months challenges yet?
If not, you only have until the 14th to email yours to Jo for your chance to be crowned the winning layout/ card for the month....and maybe something a little special from Scrapbookit!

Have an awesome week and be sure to pop back in on the 15th for the next monthly challenge...

Until then,
Happy Scrapping.

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea Mel and I love the papers you have used too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this fantastic idea Mel, School photo's are usually tricky to scrap but this is a wonderful way to put them all on the one layout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Mel and looks wonderful with the hidden photos and journalling. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Mel! Just think this is very creative & hopefully inspires all those scrappers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Idea! I obviously just look at the pictures in those magazines :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfecto!, love this. Cannot wait to start scrapping some school photos (I know I am getting a bit ahead of myself - step 1 = give birth). Thanks for sharing Mel :-)

    ReplyDelete

We love your feedback so stay and say g'day